Back to Posts

A Second Attempt

You might remember my cotton top, made for my baby granddaughter, that caused me so many problems.  It looked absolutely lovely on Isobel, the pale yellow was a good colour and the fit was excellent, although not much room for growth.  Overall, I was quite pleased with it, BUT, my son in law apparently remarked to my daughter that overall the knitting 'wasn't quite up to the usual standard' and that I 'had made quite a few mistakes'.  These 'mistakes' were the bars where those wretched increases were made.  I wasn't worried by his comments as it wasn't as though I didn't know about them, I was devastated! Not really.  However I was determined to make this top again and this time it had to look fabulous.

So, bearing in mind that cotton hadn't worked well for me, I chose a skein of Merino/nylon sock yarn that I had hanging around.  I love buying indie dyers sock yarn, but as I never, ever knit socks, it is kind of pointless.  Particularly as I'm far too mean to buy several skeins that could work as a project.  I only buy one.  This could be just the thing for it.  This one was dyed by Qing and is the colourway Cove.  It's really nice.

This time, I made the 1 year size as Isobel is growing fast.  I took the advice of the very talented and expert knitter, Janine, and was more careful with my purling.  As she said, cotton is quite unforgiving, and I must say the wool worked better.   I used circular needles to do the back/forth rows on both garments and it perhaps that was the problem..  It's hard to tell and I might in time knit another one in cotton to see if I could do better.  Anyway, this looked much better but I was concerned about those increases.  The pattern instructs you to increase by 'making one' by lifting the bar between the two stitches, twisting and knitting it, but it does leave a little straight bar that is noticeable.  After testing this method with the wool, I decided it is noticeable when you do a lot of increases in the row as this pattern demands.  So, I read the whole of my Increase/Decrease book and learned masses about the process.  However, there wasn't one which suited my immediate needs.  Eventually, I hit upon pulling part of the stitch below up to the needle and knitting it - rather like a slip stitch.  This worked better for this garment, particularly with the variable colours of the yarn.  Here's how it looked:


You can see the slipped stitch but it doesn't show as much as the make one.  This might be because of the random colours of the yarn, or it might be because this is wool rather than cotton.  Anyway, it was more successful for the multiple increases in the row.

I'm really pleased with this and the photo below shows the finished garment.  My son in law viewed it yesterday and pronounced it as 'fabulous'.  He may have been primed by my daughter to say that.  No matter,, I'll take the praise either way.

Tunic Top Version 2

I'm still working on my mosaic sweater and it's coming along well,.  However, my next project is a little cardigan for Isobel which will show off  the skirts of her collection of fabulous dresses.

Created On  5 Apr 2021 14:40 in What's Happening at GBY?  -  Permalink


Thats really lovely. Clever old you!!

Posted By: Jo - 3 May 2021 18:38
Hello. Ref the unevenness on the back and forth rows in comparison to the worked in the round rows: have a look at 'rowing out''. It's when the tension on one row of stitches is different from the tension on the next row of stitches and is usually along the lines of: looser on the purl row, tighter on the knit row. Type of needle, type of yarn and whether you throw or pick ('British' or 'Continental') can also make a difference but given you have an even tension on the knit in the round rows, I'd start with looking at different tension in your knitting and purling. For a quick fix use a smaller gauge needle (try with 0.5mm smaller in the first instance and test from there) on the purl rows.

Moving from back and forth knitting to knitting in the round might also require you to adjust needle size, if you are much swifter overall and probably tighter in knit in the round. Try going up by 0.5mm for the knit in the round.

Having said all that, the switch from cotton to merino/nylon and the switch from plain colour to mixed really seems to have helped. The little dress in the sock yarn is lovely.

On increases, I like a Make 1 with a backwards loop, which can be nice and snug if it's pulled tight when creating the loop (I find it's better on wooly yarns). It's directional and you need to check which way it lies depending on what you want to do in the pattern and whether you need to knit into the back of the loop on the following row to keep it twisted and not to create a hole. There's a bit of an explanation here:
Posted By: Bit tired today - 10 May 2021 13:45

Leave a Comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear on this blog until the author has approved them.
Name and email address are required. The email address will not be displayed with the comment.
Your comment
Name *
Email *
Website URL